Invisalign in Ocean City, MD
At Atlantic Dental Cosmetic & Family Dentistry, many of our patients have always wanted to straighten their teeth but hesitated because they did not want traditional braces. Invisalign may be the solution that helps you achieve the smile you have always wanted.
It can be embarrassing or unsightly to have crooked or protruding teeth, but you don’t have to resign yourself to an imperfect smile. Aside from the obvious issue of cosmetic appearance, having crooked teeth means brushing and flossing can be difficult. If you are in Ocean City, MD and are considering Invisalign to change your life, please contact our dental office to answer any questions. Invisalign is the easiest way to straighten your teeth without the inconvenience of metal brackets and wires. Treat yourself to a lifetime investment that is so invisible; no one will know you’re wearing braces!
- Why Crooked Teeth Should Be Fixed
- What Is Invisalign?
- How Does Invisalign Work?
- What Problems Does Invisalign Address?
- Traditional Braces vs. Invisalign
- Call to Find Out if Invisalign Is Right for You
Why Crooked Teeth Should Be Fixed
Crooked teeth aren’t always unattractive; some people are content with overlapping teeth—yet straightening your teeth isn’t just about changing your appearance. A crooked smile can put you at risk for the following:
- Tooth decay—Having straight teeth means that you can clean and floss easily. When your teeth are straight, you can reach all parts of your mouth with your toothbrush and floss. There are no areas that can trap food particles that can happen with crooked teeth. If you have overlapping teeth that can hide food debris, you are at risk for tooth decay.
- Tooth erosion—Many of our Ocean City, MD patients seek out clear aligners to correct their malocclusion, a condition where the upper and lower jaws do not line up correctly when biting down. If left untreated, this condition can lead to dental problems like gum infections, cavities, gum disease, tooth enamel erosion, and stress on teeth. Tooth enamel erosion could require porcelain veneers or dental crowns to protect the tooth and prevent further decay. Contact Atlantic Dental Cosmetic & Family Dentistry to avoid dental issues.
- Dental treatments—When our patients need to get a dental crown, bridge, filling or veneer placed, we may sometimes recommend getting your teeth straightened. Procedures such as dental crowns, bridges, or porcelain veneers can be challenging to place with crooked or overlapping teeth. Our Ocean City, MD dental office may recommend Invisalign in order to proceed with cosmetic dentistry treatments to improve your smile and appearance.
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign, like ClearCorrect, is the modern solution to traditional metal braces. Using an array of clear plastic aligners that switch out every two weeks, the process gradually straightens your teeth comfortably and invisibly. The smooth plastic aligners are removable and comfortable to wear, unlike metal braces. Traditional braces usually require frequent visits to the dentist to tighten the braces; Invisalign patients only need to visit the dentist every four to six weeks. Invisalign is a beneficial alternative to traditional metal braces for many reasons, including:
- Diet—Metal braces usually limit your diet since certain foods are too hard or chewy, and can often get stuck and require cleaning after meals. Invisalign braces are removable, meaning you don’t have to change your diet and can still enjoy your favorite foods.
- Cleaning—Keeping up with your oral hygiene is convenient and easy with clear aligners; you remove them to brush and floss your teeth. If the aligners get cloudy, cleaning them is as simple as rinsing and gently wiping them.
- Quicker results—Instead of seeing the dentist every few weeks to get your braces tightened, Invisalign trays are changed out every two weeks to straighten your teeth gradually. Our Ocean City, MD patients typically have around eight to twelve trays, giving them a beautiful smile in 16 to 24 weeks, making the whole process much quicker than traditional metal braces.
- Invisible—Perhaps the most significant appeal to clear aligners is their discreet nature! The clear plastic is undetectable and allows you to straighten your teeth without anyone knowing. Many people resign themselves to an uneven smile simply because they don’t want to have a mouth full of metal; which makes Invisalign so attractive to many patients.
How Does Invisalign Work?
After your initial consultation with one of our skilled Ocean City, MD dentists, x-rays, photos, and impressions are made of your teeth. Invisalign uses that information to create a series of plastic aligners that you will change out approximately every two weeks. We recommend that you wear your aligners for 20 to 22 hours a day for the best and fastest results.
You will need periodic evaluations with one of our knowledgeable dentists to make sure your teeth straightening is on track. Follow-up appointments are about every six weeks. Treatment should take approximately 16 to 24 weeks, but this can vary from patient to patient. Our Ocean City, MD dentists will let you know what to expect and can answer any questions you have.
Every patient has unique smile goals that we work towards helping. Invisalign can address many common dental issues, including
- Protruding teeth
- Crowded teeth
- Teeth gaps
Traditional Braces vs. Invisalign
By avoiding the painful wires and brackets of traditional braces, you can enjoy the relative comfort of the smooth plastic aligners. Traditional braces are often associated with pain and discomfort, as well as being unsightly. One of the most attractive benefits of Invisalign is avoiding the embarrassment of wearing metal braces as an adult. Many people in professional careers find it difficult to maintain a level of professionalism due to the association of metal braces with teenagers and high school adolescence.
One of the most significant drawbacks to traditional braces is often around mealtimes. Many patients with metal braces have to avoid eating certain foods that might become stuck in the brackets, and other foods might be too painful to chew. Invisalign aligners do not interrupt your regular food habits; you can continue enjoying all the hard, chewy or sticky foods that you want, eat all the caramel you wish to!
Traditional braces can be challenging to clean, and many wearers have to carefully clean around wires and brackets for food debris. Because you can remove Invisalign, brushing and flossing are easy and comfortable. You will still have regularly scheduled dental cleanings in our office to maintain your dental health and to track your progress, but you won’t have to visit the dentist as often as metal braces require. You can comfortably wear Invisalign without it significantly impacting your lifestyle. This is why it is such a popular choice and why we offer it to our patients.
Call to Find Out if Invisalign Is Right for You
At Atlantic Dental Cosmetic & Family Dentistry, one of our friendly doctors will discuss orthodontic treatment options with you based on your unique dental needs. We can share your treatment details as well as what you can expect for a final outcome. That way, you can make an educated decision regarding your dentistry and smile. Call to schedule your first clear braces orthodontic appointment and take an essential step toward achieving the smile you have always wanted.